Oven Baked Bread



It's not difficult to feel on top of the world here. Step outside the door, turn right and head uphill. Far far away in the distance it is possible to view the village and nestling on the edge Le Chateau. Further afield the village of Montreal on the skyline its splendid fortified church, almost a cathedral, dominating the countryside for miles around.

From here the only sounds to be heard are the rustling of the leaves, the droning of a tractor drilling the winter wheat and my footsteps gradually becoming slower and slower as the hill steepens. The berries on the holly look promising for festive decoration, mistletoe in abundance appearing as the leaves fall off their host trees. Despite being the middle of November the weather is pleasant enough to sit outside at the front of the house for a spot of lunch whilst the snow on the Pyrenees looks promising for some Christmas skiing.

Meanwhile His Lordship has discovered the pleasures to be obtained by making his own bread. The satisfaction apparently of the kneading and thrill of a perfect warm crusty loaf fresh out of the Aga even surpasses my mouth watering photographs of the local scenery.

Mind you, if he mentions the scene that took place between Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange once more in the film, The Postman Only Rings Twice I swear I'll crown him with one of his Irish Soda Loaves.

Comments

deborah said…
I will be there in time for fresh bread and butter!
what is it with men and jessica lange and that movie? yes, i already know that answer....
LittleBrownDog said…
So much to envy again - today has been damp grey drizzle from beginning to end, our Aga still depressingly out. Love Irish soda bread - best eaten warm and soaked in butter by a crackling fire. Why not find something else to crown him with - a rolling pin perhaps? Seems such a waste of good bread.

xx
lampworkbeader said…
You are at it again temptress. Perhaps if I told KMB that it was Jessica Lange country he might agree to a little trip south.
Frances said…
Thank you for that lift, Sally!

Indoors and outdoors round the chateau surely do seem like the place to be.

Could the bread recipe be shared?

xo
Tessa said…
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I've just read through your blog and I'm simpering and hiccuping and wiping aways tears. I. Want. To. Be. You.

Seriously though, a glorious Chateau, a wonderful blog and some spectacular photographs. Please may I come again?
Tattie Weasle said…
Just looking at the view, then dreaming of the bread and thre butter and - oh weel back to reality - lovely to dream though!
Fennie said…
It's all so beautiful. Coincidentally I am reading Graham Robb's book 'Discovering France' at the moment - full of history of the peoples and languages of France and the very different lifestyles of people in times gone by. Different to the UK that is, as well I suppose as to each other. I make my own bread too, but in a breadmaker I must confess.
Pipany said…
Yum, we love home made bread here too Sally. Gorgeous picture as ever xx
Mrs ElderBerry said…
what a lovely blog you have written, and l so love the smell of soda bread, reminds me of my time in west cork hunting to hounds.
ChrisH said…
Lunch outside? How glorious! Thank you Sally, your lovely blog has done the trick again.
Edward said…
WHAT a fabulous view! Whenever I read your blog I long to become an expat. I'm master of the breadmaking machine, but have never taken to the kneading - no need, I suppose.

I'll get my coat.
elizabethm said…
Lovely photos again and colour and the hint of sun, you lucky thing. Ian makes all our own bread but I am the soda bread maker around here. I rather wish you hadn't mentioned it because I am trying for a bread free week here in the interests of the expanding waistline. If you knew my addiction to bread you would realise quite what a challenge that is and now you have me drooling.

Popular Posts