First Tango in Bridport



Writing a book was one thing. Editing and proof reading was another matter entirely. I placed everything into the hands of the very competent and professional Philip from Column Communications. Not only did he steer me through the murky waters that a first time author can sometimes struggle in, but he also helped cut through the confusion. He sorted out for me the tangles that arose from the first attempt. The hard lesson to be learnt from that one was: Go with your gut instinct, if something feels wrong then stop and say so. AND, always have a proof copy in your hands before you press that publish button! I daresay I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last that learnt her lesson the hard way...

It was with some trepidation then that I popped out a few copies of my book on my stall last week. Sales have been bubbling along nicely online and I had even gained four 5* reviews, one of which I am happy to share, (I would share them all, but I can be modest when pushed)

'The building suspense of the story kept me riveted to this book. Fast paced, well written, a real page turner'

Bingo! it was all heading in the right direction, but wait a minute. Was I actually going to sell it face to face, stand there in excruciating agony whilst people squinted at the back cover before turning it over thoughtfully and deciding whether to purchase? It was a brave step on my part. In the end everyone recognized the photograph of yours truly and when realizing I was a local author, gave their support and bought a copy. I had lots of laughs, a few compliments even, and most importantly of all, gained the confidence to decide to launch an Easter Saturday book signing session at Bridport market.

But enough of self promotion and trumpet blowing and onto far more important matters. Spring has sprung and life is grand. The sloping banks of the lanes are brimming with pale yellow primroses, the scent of wild garlic has begun to permeate the air, bluebells have just started to unfurl and push their heads up towards the skies, and every so often a glimpse of pink campion can be seen. It is lush, it is beautiful, and there is the hint that summer is finally on its way. I stride over Dorset's National Trust coastal footpaths, rucksack placed firmly on my back carrying an assortment of squashed sandwiches plus a bar of chocolate.  As I plonk myself wearily down a sense of contentment sweeps over me. 'We are so lucky' I say out loud. I'm always stating the obvious, but it is important to grab that flimsy shadow known as happiness that can sometimes disperse and be impossible to reach. Seize it, savour it and count your blessings.

If you would like to join me on my Facebook page, Last Tango in Carcassonne I would be thrilled to see you. 

Above. Two of my favourite Bridport market chaps teasing me!


Comments

Popular Posts