Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 6


The idea of referring to myself and others in the same boat as 'The Home Guard' seemed to hit the right spot for quite a few people, although being referred to as 'Captain Mannering' in-house is wearing thin, even for me. 

I decide not to analyse anything today but to tackle the day head on and in a robust manner. This morning we had 'brunch' In other words, it was too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. To my mind, harking back to Sundays gone by, it was an excuse to lie in, meet with friends and provided a perfectly legit excuse to partake of refreshment. 

Jobs in the garden beckoned. Our little patch had been sorely neglected over the past few months. Studying the weather forecast avidly there was a promise of sunshine which spurred me on. Despite wearing thick gloves the ends of my fingers soon became numb with the cold which helped enormously when tackling the stinging nettles. We were at least being productive. The corner of the garden where 'Ratty' once resided no longer holds the terror of the summer months which was finalised by, (eventually), 'The Undertaker' taking him out with a single shot from the upstairs window. 

I bought the last bunch of English daffodils from Waitrose yesterday. They're sitting tightly closed on the kitchen window sill but when I last looked one had just begun to stir and show signs of life. Who would have thought that £1 spent could provide so much entertainment? 

Day 2, or is it 3? now of washing up. You think I'm missing the dishwasher don't you?, well I'm not. Have you any idea how delightful it is to feel the warmth of the hot water as your hands dive through the mass of pleasingly scented soap suds? Quite therapeutic too as you admire the pattern of the Royal Delft dinner plates for the umpteenth time. Yes, I'll only buy old china too, is there no end to my passion for recycling and preloved?

Friends from afar have rallied round to provide me with a 'window' into their lives and for that I am grateful. 'The Captain' sent me a picture of Miami beach whilst another friend who I will refer to as 'Forever Young' (sickeningly I might add) sends an amusing video of emptying a kettle full of hot water into a swimming pool before diving in. I try not to dwell too long on the clear blue sky which Portugal apparently has. I decide against sending him a picture of the newly cleared patch of stinging nettles, it just doesn't qualify as remotely interesting to anyone but me, and even then I'm struggling... You get my drift, I'm sure.

There must be a highlight to everyday, a spot to focus on, and today for us at least, it will be roast chicken with all the trimmings. We'll light the fire, switch on the twinkly lights, (highly recommended) and count our blessings. There maybe wine involved, there maybe chocolate being unwrapped in a conspiratorial manner but most of all there will be hope, hope that we can all continue to pull together and support each other as we strive to overcome this hideous virus.  


Comments

Sally Townsend said…
Lovely to see you here Wizzard x

Popular Posts