Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 7


I wouldn't say all went according to plan today. I did have a plan, in a loose vague sort of way, but it veered off course pretty rapidly. 

First things first. Four of the daffodils are out, they match my washing up gloves to perfection. I have, for breakfast, a modest bowl of lemon curd flavoured yoghurt along with slightly warmed up blueberries. Then two Ryvita's smeared with honey go a small way to counteract the dreadful harm last night's scoffing on the sofa may have done.

I think I may feel some opinions coming on. I've just witnessed a car full of elderly folk bowling along the road with the passengers in the back gorging themselves on takeaway chips. What's that all about? Is it because they've been jabbed and feel safe to make unnecessary pleasure trips or is it because all four live together and their oven has broken down? 'The Undertaker' tells me time and time again we mustn't judge others without knowing the full story... 'Why not' I say, 'since when has free speech been banned?' For example, why haven't undertakers, who have FINALLY been recognized as front line workers not been given the jab as a matter of urgency? You think its fun living with someone who is handling people who have died with the disease and yet is not protected? Oh yes, they have got PPE so no cause for concern. Anyway as long as footballers and wealthy nobodies have been jabbed first we can all breathe a sigh of relief, along with the old arses gadding about because they feel safe. Why are the roads so busy anyway?

This morning I decide to pop on an outfit that hasn't seen the light of day since my TV debut. It's a sort of corduroy prairie style pinafore, the kind of outfit women love and men hate, presumably because its not in the least bit sexy. As we all know our role is to be sexy, intelligent and all things to all men at all times. I thought the footage made me look unfairly plump(ISH) but 'The Undertaker' kindly suggested that TV cameras were never flattering at the best of times. 'And a side shot too' I added. He nodded wisely. I bounded down the stairs full of enthusiasm and determination. 'Today I shall achieve' I announce. I could pop items online from the shop, I could organise a 'click and collect' from the window for example. However are any of these actions going against the guidance of staying at home and refraining from making unnecessary journeys? (I ask myself.)  Finding myself in something of a quandary I checked out the guidelines, apparently I'm still allowed to do such things. I finally sum up the energy to register the tumble drier so I get my two year warranty. I've lost the receipt which presents another problem. Why is being at home so tiring and tiresome?

I could go for a walk, nothing stopping me, I daresay the air would do me good. But wait, I have commitments and responsibilities, I can't just stick a rucksack on my back and go hiking and be part of the 'I'm lovin' lockdown brigade'.... if only life were that simple!

Let's be honest, this is, by far, harder than the first lockdown when (due to the lack of traffic) you could at least hear the birds sing, This time all I can hear is the non stop hum of vehicles and that is not a pleasing sound.

Okay, time to get a grip. I make a final concerted effort to pull something out of the day. I go to the shop and take a photograph of a faux fur leopard coat and plaster it over social network. I describe it as a growly coat to wear when you want to roar. It sells immediately. Seems I'm not the only one wanting to make myself heard. 



Comments

Wizzard said…
Love the idea of a Growly coat :)
I feel your frustration. xx
Procrastinaire said…
Small business like yours can surely go online. We can’t let Amazon rule the world. I can understand the desire to vaccinate the vulnerable but surely key workers should have been done first. I’ve still no idea where teachers/TAs are in the pecking order and many are in bubbles with key worker children and still no ppe. Also this online stuff is horrifying, my face being zoomed into people’s homes arghhh! Save me with a vaccination, even a late night one please!! 😂

Popular Posts