Lockdown in Bridport - Part 3 - Day 26


 Saturday. Rain is forecast. For most of the day. Beyond tedious. However, as we all know, there is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing and if I haven't got the correct clothing then nobody has. The only way I can see 'Office Darling' is by going on a walk. She's sporting a very fetching black Musto jacket which I can recall wearing along with a chunky Ralph Lauren cream coloured pullover. 'Hmmm' I say 'weren't those mine? 'Were' she corrects me. What sort of a Mother would I be if I begrudged my very own daughter looking utterly fabulous in clothes I don't quite recall handing over? It's the bright red anorak for me then...

Fortunately we both have our wellies on which is just as well as the fields over to West Bay are flooded. Large areas of water are being happily enjoyed by floating seagulls and ducks. It's a strange sensation wading through the submerged grass. It begins to brighten up as we reach the coast although the waves are pretty lively. We watch as a couple enter the sea, the waves seem awfully large and I feel the pit of my stomach lurch as they bob up and down in the swell. We walk back along the old railway line where we are treated to a tiny bird close by singing its heart out. For a split second it felt almost spring like. We are quickly back into the centre of Bridport. 'The Undertaker' is chatting to a friend in the square and near by a couple of other friends sit drinking takeaway coffee. We all wonder if we are flouting lockdown rules by being stationary outside, but then some of us are starved of someone different to talk to. There's a feeling of moroseness hanging on the air but we fill the void by chattering about nothing. I overhear someone say how cheerful my shop window looks and I smile to myself. 

I had downloaded an app on my phone which records how many steps you take in a day. The suggested amount for your wellbeing is 10,000 which I have achieved today but that's because I have just taken a two hour walk, so the chances of me achieving that everyday are zilch. May as well indulge in a Belgium cream bun, drizzled with chocolate. I remind myself it is the weekend.

Home to light an early fire with a chance to slump on the sofa which I readily do without any qualms whatsoever. A couple of phone calls later to talk, yet again, about nothing and before we know it the subject of supper looms. Time too for a teeny G&T. This particular gin is infused with blackberry and raspberry, the benefits to one's health and wellbeing must be apparent (obviously one's 'five a day' springs to mind!). Yes, I truly believe that if I try hard enough I shall get to grips with this way of life, eventually...


Comments

Procrastinaire said…
Finding it so hard to muster any enthusiasm this lockdown, I’ve replaced all the weight I lost on the previous. Back problems from sitting at a computer all day haven’t helped. At least live teaching gives me a reason to dress smartly every weekday and some variety between weekday and weekends. Missing the beach terribly, I long to our home in Wales. Yesterday was my dad’s birthday and I would have been home celebrating with them. Now haven’t even been able to visit their grave for 6 months. Ironic whilst some have still been jollying abroad. C’est la vie. Hope your Uncle gets through it.

Popular Posts