Blogging from Bridport - Day 25

Day 25

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)
'Office darling' (daughter)
'On the ground in France' (son)
'Nearly 90' (mother)

We were in our usual relaxed lock down pose on the sofa late last night. A discarded chocolate wrapper lay accusingly in front of us, the fire crackling comfortingly in the hearth. All was well with the world, another day had slipped by without too much discord. We had even indulged in oven chips for supper along with home made burgers and lashings of mango chutney.

'Where's that music coming from'? I turned to 'The undertaker', puzzled. We turned our TV down and sure enough dance music was pumping through the air. Pulling the sash window down I peered out into the dark inky night and remarkably a few doors down a neighbour appeared to be playing music at quite an interesting volume with their windows wide open. 'We mustn't judge people' 'The undertaker' said, 'probably letting off steam' I agreed. Not like us to be quite so tolerant but in these stressful times... It was therefore disappointing to learn this morning that pleas to turn the music down had been ignored but worse than that, the neighbour had been throwing a party! Beggars belief.

Easter Sunday morning arrives. The Easter bunny didn't deliver in the conventional way because quite honestly the chocolate truck has been delivering for quite a while now... After breakfast 'The undertaker' was adamant that he wanted his haircut with his new clippers. 'I'll cut yours first' he said sharpening up the hair scissors. Wetting my hair, I worriedly attempted to explain to him what to do, poor chap. After I had heard the first crunch of hair I knew it was more than a mere 'snip'. He proudly phoned his Mother and told her how much money he had saved us. Later once I had mastered his hair clippers and he resembled a newly shorn lamb I sent her a picture. She hasn't commented yet but I daresay she's busy.

'Office darling' sends me a short video entitled 'my Easter Egg hunt'. It comprised of the opening of the fridge door and a bottle of wine being extracted. Strange times indeed, so clever of her to improvise though.

Tonight we are lucky enough to be having a feast of roast lamb, done on a bed of rosemary out of the garden accompanied by all the trimmings. I have put together a small arrangement of spring flowers as a centre piece for the table. As the church clock chimes six I shall pour myself a glass of red wine and tune into YouTube for the live Easter concert by Andrea Bocelli singing "Music for Hope" at the historic Duomo Catherdral in Italy.

I shall throw open all the windows and turn the volume up loud and hope that I disturb the neighbour...


Comments

Ah yes, we listened to Andrea Bocelli. Stunning. But it was the film of empty cities that really got me. When they showed Trafalgar Square, silent and empty it made me well up. First time!
Rachel fray said…
Hi I have just been shown your blog by a Bridport friend. Just for the record yes we were playing music, yes we did let our hair down for a few hours including chatting to family and friends online however I did not ‘throw a party.’ I would never invite people round to my house to party and flout the law during these very difficult times. Those present were my household only ie myself, my best friend who is a key worker (carer in Exeter staying with me as she cannot get home to spain ) and my daughter. I hope everyone is coping in these dreadful times.
Best wishes

Popular Posts