Blogging from Bridport - Day 26

Day 26.

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)
'On the ground in France' (son)

The new hairstyle is going to take some getting used to, I'll be the first to admit that. 'The undertaker' says I need an Alice band. 'Very 80's Sloane' he remarks. I groan in despair, what alternative was there?

We are just about to tuck into poached eggs on toast when his phone goes. Off he trots looking every inch the Italian waiter in black trousers, white shirt, black waistcoat. I guess the black tie with an undertakers logo may be a clue though. It leaves me with four slices of toast and two boiled eggs. Funnily enough I'm not hungry. I don't always need to overhear the finer details of the pick up.

Today is noticeably chillier than in previous days. Although there are people in shorts taking their daily exercise I have opted for jeans and a woollen pullover. I think of 'On the ground in France' challenging me when I describe our weather as 'baking'. We have however had endless days of sunshine and clear blue skies unsullied by the vapours of planes overhead.

My cousin phones from South West France where they have been well and truly grounded. She is busy making face masks from thin mattress protectors and curtain lining. The extremely formidable woman from the Marie had rounded up anyone with sewing skills in their small remote village. A pack of elastic had been pushed through her letterbox, the price still in french francs. I daresay there isn't much demand for knicker elastic out there at present.

I have joined a new Facebook group called 'View from my Window'. In a couple of moments I have seen fresh snow in Minnesota, the twinkling of night time lights in Chicago, Western Australia on shearing day and fluttering flags from Hawaii, with each and everyone of them shot entirely from peoples windows around the world. What is so heartening are the messages from people from all corners of the globe wishing each other well.

We start a new game over another pot of tea. Things we can see beginning with the letter C I suggest. Clouds, cactus, car, cat, collar doves, clothes line, celandine's. The phone goes. 'Call out' 'The undertaker' shouts. 'No' I say, 'that's what you can hear'. 'I'm bending the rules' he says smugly. 'So am I', I retort and push the clock forward to 6pm. 'Incorrigible' he mutters.






Comments

Great photo, seeing the old guy out taking time out. My mother trailed one of those but like everything a little too late.

Popular Posts