Blogging from Bridport - Day 29

Day 29

The cast :
Me
'The Undertaker'

This morning I mean business. Before 'The undertaker' could sneakily pop rashes of bacon in a frying pan I beat him to any sly moves by putting the very last soft banana in the blender. Adding rolled oats, blueberries and milk  once I'd plonked down the purple gloop in front of him he had to admit defeat. Just before he dashes out to work however he presents me with a roll of frozen puff pastry. 'Chicken pie tonight' he says happily. It crossed my mind after he had left to rustle up an apple and cinnamon bake but I resist. I love a good old fashioned pudding with lashings of custard but in this matter we don't see eye to eye. Must keep the front line workers happy I think to myself. And if you live with a front line worker, most barely earning above a minimum wage, and they want chicken pie, then you damn well cook them chicken pie!

This morning (after three years) I snip off a price tag on the shower hanging gizmo. This small act leads to a cleaning frenzy throughout the house but then upon opening the cupboard which houses the cleaning paraphernalia I find 'The undertaker' has sneaked in yet another cleaning product. Its frankly staggering what I could clean should I wish.

Feeling virtuous I peg out today's washing humming a happy little tune to myself. Quite remarkably the sun is out yet again (to reach an astounding 19 degrees) and what few plants there are in the garden are flourishing quite by sheer luck rather than any skill. 'Love in a mist' has gone crazy whilst my neighbour's new David Austin climbing rose is pleasingly pushing its way through the fence. Greenfly seems to be on the increase too which I mentally make a note of. I daresay we have a spray...

A seagull tries to invade 'The undertakers' covered bird table. I rush out flapping my arms and shouting before realising how quiet the neighbourhood is, or was. Later on the loved up collar doves coo and bill contentedly over the seed.

I'm just about to start preparing the evening meal when 'The Undertaker' phones. Such sad tragedies taking place is all I will say, families torn apart in a split second. Recriminations, regret, hindsight, friends lost, the aftermath to be dealt with by complete strangers.

The blackbird is singing to his hearts content outside, people amble past, their conversations drifting through the open (newly cleaned!) window. The postman empties the pillar box in shorts with loud reggae music emanating from his van. The church clock strikes solemnly on the hour, we are told on the daily briefing we have another 30 days lock down. And despite my reluctance to discuss anything which may be construed as inflammatory I know for a fact that worldwide countries are struggling to obtain PPE. How do I know that? I know someone who supplies it, it's as simple as that. But it's far from simple, in fact it's a total nightmare as it is not available... end of! It cannot be produced fast enough to meet demand, and put quite simply, it is a Worldwide problem.

A foodie friend phones and we discuss his homemade donuts, another friend from New Delhi does a little touch of book promotion for me with resounding success. Later an old friend from Scotland who runs a hotel in the foot of the Cairngorms describes how it is to be completely and utterly alone surrounded by such breathtaking wilderness. 'You could hike butt naked' I say, 'why would I bother when there's no-one around to upset' he replies. He has a point and we both chuckle. Everyone getting through their day in their own little way.

Lets just stick together for the time being and agree to disagree later.



Comments

Popular Posts