Blogging from Bridport -Day 30


Day 30

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)
'Office darling' (daughter)

Woke up to heavy rain this morning. 'That was a good nights sleep' I said to 'The undertaker' 'lucky not being called out after having had a very long day'. 'I was' he said, '1.30am but you didn't stir, not when I left nor when I returned'. 'Cup of tea' I say brightly then remember we have run out of milk because unlike 2020BC (before Corona virus) going shopping is now a marathon expedition that has to be meticulously planned and today is the day rather than yesterday. Exhausting.

The garden is damp and smells beautifully fresh. We needed the rain badly after weeks of non stop sunshine. Let me just pause awhile on that last comment. Needless to say the garden was rife with snails and in particular on my Calla aethiopica lily and whilst the little fellas may look pretty and charming, if left to run amok they can cause havoc. I spent a good hour extracting them, paying extra special attention to my red hot pokers. I feel it necessary to add, I didn't lob them over the neighbours fence nor did I drown them in water.(As if). No, I threw them onto my lawn ( just to clarify in case the snail police are reading this). Lord knows who peeks in hoping to trip me up and cause trouble .

'Office darling' and I agree to meet in the supermarket car park for the dreaded shopping experience. We parked side by side and opened the windows. Amazing what we found to talk about and how just funny everything seemed. I spied a Maserati and a Bentley  which seemed rather out of place in Morrisons, Bridport (wonder where they might have come from!). 'Can't you say it was Waitrose carpark? 'Office darling' pleads. 'Well they wouldn't stick out there would they'? I say. She agrees. I'll make a spook out of her yet.

I decide to order up my monthly meds by post, it all seems very simple and I can't imagine why I haven't done so weeks before. I suppose its yet another step towards eliminating human contact although I get a very pleasant email right back from a young man called Ollie who says he is 'happy to help'. I click onto his picture, he looks about 23 and is dressed in smart but casual clothes. The sort of chap you liked your daughter to bring home. ONLY KIDDING. Jeeeez.

Before I know it 'The undertaker' returns home and is OFF CALL. In the olden days we would beat a hasty retreat to the public house for a quick snifter before returning home and settling down to a jolly nice supper and a fine bottle of red wine. Now its a pot of tea and settling down to listen to the daily No10 briefing before opening the red wine, obviously.

'What's for supper'? he says all excited. 'Garlic snails' I say nonchalantly.

Footnote: A neighbour has just gone by with the largest bag of Lindt Easter bunnies ever. Because the windows are now clean I saw her quite clearly. I bang on the window furiously shouting 'STOP' urgently. It transpires that they have been reduced quite substantially at Waitrose. I want to weep with frustration.


Comments

Popular Posts