Blogging from Bridport - Day 32


Day 32

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)

After yesterday's mischievous posting depicting a frog clutching an empty gin bottle and featuring lashings of chocolate, I thought I had better show some restraint. However I firmly believe what goes on in lock down stays in lock down...

Getting up bright and early this morning (does that tell you anything?) we embark upon a healthy bowl of Jordans country crisp with sun-ripe strawberries. (yeah right). For want of anything else better to do and lacking in lively conversation, I read that every time we eat a bowl of Jordan's cereal we take a little step towards helping nature to recover. Yes, they help farmers look after at least 10% of their land for wildlife. 'We are doing our bit towards healing the earth' I say to 'The undertaker' between mouthfuls. Picking up the cereal packet he surveys the other side, as he, like myself, is desperate for some scintillating conversation. 'Says here there's palm oil in the ingredients' he informs me. We try, we truly do, and yet by 8.30am we are thwarted in our efforts to do what is right.

Here's a shocker. Last night we had our Sunday roast. Lovely bit of slow cooked lamb with all the trimmings. We certainly know how to ring the changes that's for sure.

We embark on our constitutional. Super bright and an unseasonably warm day we head on our merry way. 'The undertaker' is a bit of bird buff, don't be alarmed, only feathered ones! Heading towards the coast we are scanning the skies with the binoculars debating whether the bird circling overhead is a buzzard or an eagle (rather large wingspan) when there is a sudden movement on the beach behind some rocks. It appears to be a white towel. On closer observation it is some chap stark naked save for a newspaper covering his modesty. 'This really is bringing out the best or worst in some people' says 'The undertaker' drily.

I receive a text message from a friend. 'Really enjoying reading your blog' he says, 'I've needed the distraction as my wife is seriously ill in hospital with Covid. From feeling blessed and exhilarated by nature I am plunged into the stark reality of how hideous and real this disease is and how close to home it truly is for all of us. I phone him up and we agree that we want to scream and shout in frustration at anyone who is taking this lightly. Like the man stripping off on the beach down to his union jack swimming shorts taking a jaunt into the sea with his family lolling on the sand. Like the people spread out on a picnic blanket, like the cyclist who nearly sends me flying breathless and sweating as he carries on his merry way. And finally the couple blatantly fishing along the river. Multiply these morons together up and down the country and you'll understand why this may go on... and on.

So to my friend who reads this I send lots of love to you and your family. I send huge hugs to anyone out there who is alone and struggling. If I raise a smile, if I brighten your day for one nanosecond, then scratching my head as I search for something to write is all worthwhile.

Comments

Agree with your friend. A joy to read of a morning. Love Ophir gin but my favourite is Pickerings - love the spicy ones. Off to work now, one day this week, no days next and one day the week after. Pre-covid longed for an extra day in the week to get things done now it's endless days. Be careful what you wish for.x

Popular Posts