Blogging from Bridport - Day 36


Day 36

The cast:

Me
'The undertaker' (husband)

The first thing 'The undertaker' did this morning was pin his St Georges cross flag to the front window.

Warm enough for breakfast in the garden (again) Quite remarkable. We have a boiled egg each and I have my customary 2 ryvita and plenty of tea (long-life milk). So why on earth is my waistline expanding? Its a mystery for sure. Something to do with the increasing dependency on chocolate I guess...

Yesterday whilst out on our daily exercise we stop briefly to chat to a complete stranger (as you do nowadays). She asks whether we are: a) local and b) what we both do for a living. Once she ascertains that we are not interlopers she is fascinated by 'The undertakers' profession. (Yawn) I wait patiently for the obvious question. 'Have you picked up anyone with Covid-19'? she asks and then is mortified to learn that he has. 'In Bridport'? she questions in a horrified fashion. 'Yes Madam in Bridport' he answers her gravely. She looks an intelligent type, speaks in an educated fashion and yet her naivety is staggering. 'Lets go' I say abruptly as she starts to warble on about her opinions on PPE.

We reach the most stunning bluebell wood. Words cannot begin to describe the peaceful sanctuary that we find ourselves in. We are hemmed in by all sides by thick carpets of surreal blue. The smell is pure, nature's true beauty takes our breath away. We quickly forget our unfortunate encounter and my blood pressure is lowered considerably.

I am pleased to report that the spider in the bathroom who first made his appearance 35 days ago or thereabouts has reappeared and is busy catching all manner of insects. He's set himself up in the corner of the window. I shall watch his daily endeavours with interest and report back if the spectacle is particularly gory.

My neighbours are busying themselves out in their gardens. Next doors is immaculate, its like having the RHS Chelsea flower show over the wall. I've had to have stern words with the other side however. I was just having a little snoozette in the sun when I came to with a start. 'Snort'. I could hear some guffaws from R (who shall remain nameless for legal reasons). 'Was I snoring'? I enquired crossly. He just laughed. I made a mental note of where to lob the snails next time. 'You may not think so now' I said 'but your neighbours will become your new besties'. We both looked forlornly down to the ground. 'I never thought it would come to this' he said sadly. I agreed but silently gave thanks to whoever is responsible for these matters that finally 'The undertaker' and I had struck gold.

Because I have been forced to be responsible for all matters pertaining to the house and its contents, it fell to me to climb up into the attic to search for 'The undertakers' summer clothes. For someone who is a volunteer Army Cadet officer his array of uniform is phenomenal. I found more bags of summer clothes destined for my business and in the last bag I opened I found his clothes. I must have been up in that hot dusty space for a good 30 minutes. I also found myself an extremely agreeable sleeveless Italian black linen dress. What with the unseasonable heat I could have been transported back to the sultry hot days in Southern France.

I count my blessings and wonder who led me here.


Comments

Popular Posts