Blogging from Bridport - Day 42

Day 42.

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)
Nameless people.

I sometimes wish I hadn't done some of the things I did in a previous life. Oooh intriguing you may think and yes I suppose it was. But it brings about problems, especially in our current situation, insofar as there's not much that escapes my attention, and how I wished it would because I'm not being paid to witness all this crap. Why are people beginning to relax here in deepest, densest (in some cases) Dorset? Is it because our numbers are comparatively low compared to other areas? Or is it (as I suspect )because it hasn't affected them personally? So you see, rather like the ostrich burying its head in the sand, if you ignore it it will go away. Sorted. Let's all go on holiday now or to the pub to get hammered.

I did something quite out of character yesterday, I bought a packet of McVities digestives sans chocolate! Today I connected the blue tooth speaker and selected Led Zeppelins 'Stairway to Heaven' (apt) whilst turning up the volume, pouring myself a soothing cup of tea and nibbling on my biscuits. Whatever gets me through the day I say.

I'm convinced I've got something in my eye so have refrained from wearing my contact lenses. I feel naked without them. I hate wearing glasses, there's nothing more awkward than looking like a geek and yet not being one. I've spent the entire morning rummaging around 'The undertakers' first aid bag. Another thing; I've walked so far of late I've developed a blister. Because he runs the local Army Cadets he's been on a couple of weekend first aid courses. Learnt how to do resuscitation, recognise the signs of a heart attack, spot a blood clot etc etc so I thought I was in good hands when it came to my dreary blister. All I wanted was a run of the mill plaster. There was a blanket in case of hypothermia and all manner of paraphernalia but no plasters. I found some sticky tape and wound up the toes. Afterwards I couldn't fit into my normal shoes. I wished I could cry, that might wash out whatever alien has decided to attach itself to my eyeball.

The local Rector has a new haircut which I am informed is a 'number 2' (something resembling a tennis ball). It wasn't until he read the instructions, however, that he realised he had ordered up dog clippers. The instructions evidently translated from Chinese said 'you make sure pet is wet before cutting fur'. I guess by the time he's back up in his pulpit once more no-one will be any the wiser.

The volume of traffic is up today in Bridport. Where is everyone going all of a sudden? If people had to abide by the guidelines as in France, Spain, Italy etc I daresay the roads would still be empty. The guidelines have not been changed in any way, so why so much vehicle movement?

I heard today of someone we know, who thought that they were immune (and behaved as such early on), both he and his wife (high risk) now have the virus. Now he wishes he could turn the clock back. (Dear reader this is LOCAL!)

Boris's fiance has had a baby today which was the only piece of unbiased news available on Radio 4. I turn to the BBC World Service.There was an interview with a Cambodian refugee who was once a donut King and had lost his crown and with it his empire because of his addiction to gambling. It was inspirational and sobering. A man who had lived a life and lost everything because he took such enormous risks.

I'm repeating this story to 'The undertaker' when he announces out of the blue that they are being issued with more robust masks for protection which can only mean one thing.

Go figure.

For crying out loud STAY AT HOME.






Comments

The worry for rural areas is as lockdown is relaxed they will be hardest hit as they have escaped the worse this time around. Let's hope they're not complacent then. FiL and wife kept up their daily pub visits, shopping etc until everything closed despite high risk health componding age factor. Small rural village so didn't become an issue. When they open I suspect they'll be back there.Mil, fit and healthy,much as it went against all her principles knuckled down to task inhand and self-isolated very early in the game. Desperately wanted to attend my mother's funeral but wonderfully pragmatic lady she remained at home. She is a technology whizz so suspect that helps.

Popular Posts