Bridport lockdown diary- Day 49

Day 49

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)
'Office darling' (daughter)

It was a mistake to sit up until well after midnight gorging on Netflix. 'Just one more episode' just has to start being a 'no no'. 49 days and I could have lost half a stone, taken up a new hobby and gone on a sabbatical from all things that poison my body. That chance will never present itself again. I have failed miserably instead preferring to indulge in vast amounts anything that is decreed as unhealthy for me. Bad. Very bad. I'm going to have to live with that for the rest of my life. Ho hum.

So much to discover on one's own doorstep, marvellous walks right under my nose, we have it all right here! This is such an adventure, opportunities to explore, this time must be embraced, I feel it gradually slipping away even though I'm trying to grasp it with both hands. I pull out my pushbike and cycle over to 'Office darling' for today's walk. It takes us through fields thickly carpeted with vibrant yellow buttercups. We walk briefly through a small village passing a phone box which has been converted into a library. A lady out walking her dog starts taking photographs. 'Look at this' she says happily 'amazing, you simply wouldn't get this in Essex'. Pardon? The penny drops. Best not to comment though! Huffing and puffing up an extremely steep hill we are rewarded with a sensational view of the rolling hills of Dorset before entering a magical wood. It has towering trees with vivid green fresh leaves, the ground is springy beneath our feet. The bluebells are just beginning to die down but this location still has the power to take your breath away. I cannot believe I haven't walked this way before, why did I feel the need to rush off somewhere else, all the time?

The neighbour pops his head over the fence, whilst 'The undertaker' and I are pottering in the garden, to ask if he would mind hanging some bunting on the front of their house ready for VE day on Friday. As a 'thank you' he gives us a flag pole that we can attach to the front of our house displaying a very fine vintage Union flag. It belonged to 'The undertakers' Grandfather when he was Rector of a local parish  in the 1960's. This starts me hunting for some appropriate bunting too, to dress the front window. The flag looks magnificent, can't let the side down!

I learn how to do a time lapse on my phone thinking (mistakenly) that it will be sweet to record 'The undertaker' and I gardening together. I show it to him and as we watch, the realisation that we are old and wearing unflattering clothes unfurls before our very eyes. The 'stay at home' video won't be being released anytime soon, certainly not from here anyway.

Meanwhile the miserable sight of two apples destined for Dorset Apple Cake remain untouched growing mouldier by the day. A equally desperate speckly banana is waiting to be transformed into banana bread. Something else that won't be happening anytime soon as well as ditching any bad habits that have been acquired.




Comments

Popular Posts