Bridport lockdown diary- Day 50

Day 50.

The cast:
Me
'On the ground in France' (son)

Without wishing to sound like a parrot (I'm going to sound like a parrot) why is there so much 'movement' out there? The Police inform us that Dorset is closed and that there will be 'road checks'. Checks for what? Talk about trying to close the stable door after the horse has already bolted.

Last nights spectacular 'Flower Moon' didn't disappoint. I watched it slowly rise up from the hills beyond and just enjoyed 'being in the moment', staring at it and marvelling at our planet. When early this morning a vapour trail from a lone plane sullied the clear blue sky I felt sad that one day pollution will return and our skies will never be so clear again.

I should be making a birthday cake today for 'On the ground in France' as its his birthday tomorrow. If you'd have suggested that a pandemic would grip the world in fear a year later we would have scoffed at the very notion as we all sat around making merry.

To rid myself of any gloomy thoughts I go out into the garden and have a stab at some weeding. There's washing on the line (2 loads) so after awhile I think I deserve to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea. It was a mistake to actually look inside the kettle. The thing is riddled with hard water deposits, awash with neglect and a broken strainer mesh thingy. And therein lies the problem with these expensive poncy gadgets, they take heaps of maintenance never mind the expense of ownership. The teapot needs treatment too. Who's got time for all of this? The conclusion is I have. What a realisation.

Ignoring the issue that must beset all housewives who strive to run a tight ship I decide I must take myself off for a bracing walk. Stride out, breathe deep and hoover up all the feel good factors associated with pure fresh air and large open spaces. Consoling myself that all this exercise must surely be combating the evils of the chocolate habit, I set off with good intentions. I stop off at the usual halfway bench overlooking the sea and eat an apple. Mistake as it gives me indigestion. Should have bought one of the peanut packed bars with the thick chocolate coating. An extravagance from Waitrose if ever there was one. There's a moral here if I cared to think...(which, on a point, probably isn't a good thing to do at present!)

What a beautiful day. Warm sunshine bathes the coastline revealing an empty vast twinkling ocean. The only boat is the little fishing craft making its way back from Lyme Regis. Birds seem to have no fear of the close presence of humans and there seem to be far more of them, than usual, happily embracing spring

Another day draws to a close and here it is, Day 50 of absolutely nothing. Amazing what you can do when there's nothing to do, so the mind boggles as to what I will do when I can. That's if I haven't already done it.

Deep.








Comments

Popular Posts