Bridport lockdown diary - Day 55

Day 55.

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)

After yesterday's shenanigans involving twisting myself into impossible positions to splodge paint around, the realisation as to why people would choose to live in bungalows came to me, as I hobbled downstairs this morning. (This thought was fleeting, so not too worrying), I make no apologies for this view on bungalows, as rather like marmite it's love or hate where they are concerned, for me at any rate.

But less of that and more of the pleasing transformation we have made to our kitchen. I had unearthed some extremely expensive breathable eco friendly paint, a rather lovely colour of James White, subtle but effective for the walls. Teamed with what I once thought of  as a dodgy green, a once safe white wooden corner unit has come to life. 'Voila' we now have a new room. 'Less clutter, more impact' is my new motto. A surprising lift to our spirits is obtained for no money for what is, after all, a 'vanity project'. Quite where the piles of decorative items are going has not yet been solved...

The feeling of being blissfully upbeat was cut brutally short, for a large healthy gleaming brown rat scuttled over the lawn this morning. I am averse to rats, so bracing myself to attack I tentatively stepped outside and threw a stone at it. Rats apart, we have to what amount to the sky version circling overhead and they are a protected species! Mr Ratty is not welcome on my patch. 'The undertaker' is thrilled when I report the incident. He offers to shoot it but as it's the only one I have ever seen in three years I feel his excitement will be short lived.

Needing fresh air and not wanting to venture out into the garden unnecessarily I take myself off for a walk. The countryside cannot look any prettier in rural England than in May when the sun is out. There's still plenty of wild garlic to be found in shady patches and sunning itself on a large lush green leaf was a dragonfly. However long I hovered overhead it simply was not going to oblige and open its wings. Rather like so many of us I thought to myself. We've been told we can slowly begin to spread our wings but I sense that we are reluctant to do so. Until we feel confident enough to take those first baby steps into the outside world we will remain hesitant, apart from when necessity dictates we must.

'Office darling' phones for a daily 'catch up'. Amazing what there is to discuss when you do what amounts to nothing all day long. She asks when I'm going to stop my daily lockdown blog, to which I have no answer. It's become rather addictive talking to no-one. In fact all these peculiar little habits and routines that have become the norm have got to gradually cease as I ease myself back into the 'real world'. Can't I just stay in this one a little while longer?


Comments

Little Red Hen said…
You’re not talking to no one. I’m enjoying your daily musings of life in lock down. Sadly, I have yet to muster the motivation to write a daily blog.

Popular Posts