Bridport lockdown diary - Day 63

Day 63

The cast:
Me
'The undertaker' (husband)
'Office darling' (daughter)
Jo public

I woke up and decided it was time to go back to the 'day job', resurrect my little business and show willing. It just had to be the hottest day of the year so far, but never mind my 'headquarters' is hardly an unbearably hot stuffy office. I hung a few of my favourite linens on a tree and they obligingly swung prettily in the breeze. I noticed with some dismay that they were neither ironed or priced so do you know what I did? I popped them all back on the rack and resigned myself to the fact that my heart simply wasn't in it just yet. It's best to be honest, I feel. You're either cut out for internet selling or you're not. Perhaps in another day or two...

'Office darling' declared that people were once again resorting to being rude. Pushy, unreasonable and bad mannered in fact. It's simply not on is it? Everyone is doing their best under very trying circumstances, bending over backwards to accommodate people who seem to presume that life is back to normal, which in their minds equates to being bloody minded. Oh dear, its all rather demoralising when you hear such tales.

When 'The undertaker' gets home we decide that a calming walk to the coast will do us a power of good. We walk across the fields to West Bay where the car parks are full to the brim and people are queuing at the only open kiosk for sustenance. People are well spaced on the beach with a few swimmers. A chap with a paramotor asks 'The undertaker' for a hand with removing the engine off the back of his scooter. 'Bloody hell' mutters 'The undertaker' 'I wouldn't trust my life on that bit of kit. It all looks rather rusty and appears to be held together with duct tape. After watching his progress for a while he eventually lifts off into the air where the wind catches his contraption and he lurches wildly towards the clifftops. People are sitting happily directly underneath the recent rockfall. So much for calm!

We progress over the cliff path along to the next beach where the tiny car park is closed. Never mind that, people have driven down the narrow winding road and left their cars at the turning point, whereupon a traffic warden arrives and has a field day. The pink thrift is looking spectacular against the vivid blue sky, wild grasses rustle in the gentle breeze whilst ferns give off a distinctive aroma in the heat of the day. There is a commotion as people return to their cars and find they have been nabbed. More cars arrive and are stuck, not being able to turn around. What chaos! No calm to be found here either. We advise people to not continue driving down as we walk up the lane but most look at us crossly.

It's all coming to an end isn't it? Reasonable behaviour, regard for others, tolerance, the overbearing 'entitled crew' are slowly seeping back into the groove and upsetting those who have striven so hard to keep the pandemic out of South West Dorset by abiding by the advice given.

I guess the day was going to come eventually.

I shall cease my lockdown diary on Friday evening. It will be number 65. Every single day without fail I have posted a picture and described life as I have found it. I do hope you have enjoyed the ride.


Comments

I shall miss it but here too it's busy again and after half term my class is due back. I fear without track and trace and all this complacency a second surge is on its way.

Popular Posts