Lockdown from Bridport - Part 2 - Day 18


It's heartening to hear music from within the church this morning, an organist practicing, I imagine. Nevertheless it has been so long since the bells rang out, that when they do surely our hearts will soar with hope once again. 

I set off with a spring in my step to the shop. Fourteen days have passed since I took possession of the keys and now the clock is ticking down to opening, once the present restrictions have been lifted. For the sake of all the traders in Bridport let's hope we can. If we don't then some businesses simply won't survive. I know I bang on and on about this, but please refrain from unnecessary shopping via the internet giants. 

I purchased a rather fetching little wooden table yesterday and couldn't wait to get some beeswax polish on it. Such a stylish piece of furniture, in my minds eye I see yummy woollens beautifully folded, just like an upmarket emporium in Burlington Arcade. You may snigger but mark my words my shop will be a pleasure to enter.

My landlord popped by today and I mentioned that I really wanted an old fashioned till. Within minutes he had returned with an wooden antique cash box which makes a pleasing 'kerching!' when opened. Seriously retro and just the offbeat sort of image I wish to portray. I want the shop to be an experience, a delight, not just racks of merchandise crammed together. He also asked if I was going to use the working fireplace. 'The Undertaker' is egging me on to get the chimney cleaned. Gosh, I won't ever want to leave my workplace at this rate! 

There's a slight problem with a suitable floor covering. I have a very old hand woven carpet, possibly Afghan, that I had set my heart on having in the shop. The previous tenant would have approved greatly of my choice, I'm sure, but perhaps not practical on reflection. 'MIL' announces she has a spare Wilton just hanging around (as one does) and by a miracle it fits perfectly.

I really am on a roll today.


Comments

Procrastinaire said…
A Pembroke table. We had one off my great uncle when newly married. It was our kitchen table. Sadly at one point it became a desk for my younger boys and somehow the destroyed it 😢

Popular Posts