Lockdown from Bridport - Part 2 - Day 26


What to say?

One day to go and I'm so excited it feels like Christmas Eve. So many small indie traders on tenterhooks as we approach the re-opening of 'non essential shops'. Although of course, some of the larger stores appear to have been selling 'non essential' goods anyway. Rather an unfair disadvantage I would say, as if the struggling high streets don't have enough to contend with...! But all we can all  hope and pray for, is the loyal support of shoppers to keep us all afloat. Best foot forward, a high standard of personal service, then I guess, it's in the lap of the Gods.

Today I sat and priced and inspected the stock. Between each item I sanitized my hands. And so a routine was established that I imagine I must adhere to, although I admit it feels strange and alien. Spontaneity has ceased to exist. It's a subdued world we live in right now. Roll on the gaiety. I guess the fun will return, the light-hearted banter, the thrill of the sale. 

Tonight I took delight in dressing the window for the first time. 'I knew those red velvet curtains would triumph in the end' I said to 'The Undertaker'. 'What about all the one's lying forlorn and forgotten in the attic'? he replied. I think he imagines I am a hoarder... He has a point. 

I took pleasure this morning in snipping some winter greenery from the garden for a large pottery jug in the shop. To my mind fresh foliage cannot be beaten, 'MIL' has promised me some holly, as this year it is groaning with bright red berries. 

I pour through the pages and pages of insurance documents until my eyes feel quite blurry. 'Time to head home' I say.

We lock the door and stand back to admire the little window. It's not Selfridges in Knightsbridge but I feel a frisson of pride and pleasure. In the short amount of time we had available we have worked wonders.




Comments

Popular Posts