Lockdown from Bridport - Part 2 - Day 6


You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, so quoted Francois de Charette. When he quoted it I couldn't tell you. In layman's terms you can't avoid making a mess to achieve your ends. And as each day goes by the gaping hole of destruction/construction becomes larger. A little 'tidy up' of the fireplace was very nearly my undoing today. The soot that came down must have lain up there for quite a few years. I tentatively put my hand up the chimney as the remains of a nest tumbled down interspersed with a few old bones for good measure. 'Eurgh' I said loudly, 'I don't suppose you could assist'? I looked across pitifully at 'The Undertaker'. I mean if he's not qualified to deal with this sort of thing who is? Gallantly he came to the rescue which is just as well as down tumbled a dead seagull. 'Fascinating' he exclaimed. Really? Two hours later soot was still making its escape.

Undeterred by the havoc I was wreaking, a small section of the wall was simply begging to be released from swathes of damp plaster. Rather like a well rounded woman struggling with overtight corsets I swear I heard the walls breathe a sigh of relief. The plaster fell off quite naturally. 'It had to be done' I said as the dust swirled around us.

People passed by and peered inquisitively through the window. So much for a quick 'tidy up'. 

I noted that the day was glorious, as I darted out for a quick well earnt breather.

A song came on that was popular in the eighties. It reminded me of my first renovation project that  I was undertaking at that time. Then, as now, I inwardly cursed the widespread application of woodchip paper smothered in gloss paint. Old buildings were not designed for such materials, nor over time have they ever benefitted from such treatment.

'No fool like an old fool' I thought to myself as I slowly heaved myself off my knees.

A small clatter alerted us to movement by the small ornate fireplace, There lay a tiny horseshoe which had become dislodged by the work and had fallen down the chimney. 'The Undertaker' looked alarmed. 'Push it back up quickly' he said, 'it's there for good luck'.

Let's hope its a positive omen for the future.  

Comments

Popular Posts