Lockdown from Bridport - Part 2 - Day 8


'The Undertaker' suggested that I took the day off today as he was working and unable to join me at the shop. 'Plenty to do' I said brightly, 'I shall be fine'. But let's be honest, there's nothing more disheartening than tackling what is turning out to be an arduous task alone. The more we probe, the more we reveal...

I'm not going to post up pictures of some of the more challenging corners, that would be indiscreet and unfair. I knew what I was taking on, I had my eyes open didn't I? I sometimes wonder if Specsavers added a rose tint to my prescription, unbeknownst to me. I have often wondered about this as I recall some of my 'projects' over the years.

Suffice to say I plodded on, grumbling to myself, wildly looking for distraction yet none were forthcoming. In the end I called it a day early. I stomped home and ran myself a deep bath feeling a tad old and useless. 

There is the most wonderful wall at the back of the shop. I can't lay claim to revealing it but it must have been a window at some time. A couple of mature chaps walked past and fondly reminisced about the shop having been a barbers and that they had visited for a short back and sides as lads. They were quite dewy eyed at the memory. 

The seagull, named 'Sally the Seagull' (ha bloody ha) has had a clean and thorough brush (carefully) with a bleach solution and is looking rather splendid. I have a feeling a photograph will feature anytime soon. 

To round off the day we walked slowly down to Waitrose. I felt like wildly scooping up anything that took my fancy. We're talking butter shortbread, chocolate eclairs, smoked salmon, expensive cheeses, Madagascan vanilla custard to pour over some luxurious pudding. But I resisted. I must keep a tight reign on my impulses...




 

Comments

Popular Posts