Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 1


I'm being urged, or rather its been suggested, (the term 'urged' sounds important and may come across as pompous), to write another daily lockdown blog. Nevertheless, I would like to feel that if it gives a smidgeon of comfort to one single solitary person every day, then it's worthwhile. 

It's bitterly cold and I feel 'under the weather' today. Whose idea was it to open the ten year old port after Boris's speech anyway? 'One small glass won't hurt'. I suggest to 'The Undertaker' that I may have a cold coming on. He suggests to me I may be a hypochondriac. We 'discuss' health and safety issues at work. It becomes heated, leading to a headache, which still lingers as I write this

I put some towels on the line today for want of anything else better to do. Even as I pegged them out I knew in my heart of hearts that come 3.30pm, or thereabouts, I would freeze, bring them back in again with their being no drier than when hung out. 'I was endeavouring to save electricity' I explained to 'The Undertaker'. Don't get me onto the subject of electricity! One small measly shop to heat and a bill from Yorkshire Gas and Power for the last month sends me dangerously close to apoplexy. 'So' I ask customer services, 'I get a whopping bill a month ahead and then another whopping bill a month later for electricity I haven't used'? She did have an explanation but it went right over my head. All I could see were the stark figures in front of me. 'Just as well we've been closed down' I grumble.

The packet of Tyrells sea salt and black pepper crisps were an enticing sight as I pulled open the kitchen cupboard. Surely it couldn't hurt to have a small handful to ease the pain? The empty bag shamed me as it lay on the floor, not for long though, let's be honest. 

I was relieved that I had been possessed yesterday by a surge of energy. The Christmas tree in the shop was taken down without an ounce of regret. I just wanted everything sparkly out of sight. Whilst I was at it I swivelled the entire space around, tidied up and put rails in the window for 'click and collect'. I haven't quite got round to figuring out the 'click' bit and should I be encouraging people to leave their homes to collect? Its a moral maze to be sure.

The council have replaced the old tree they felled outside the house last year, (due to its suffering from honey fungus), with a flowering cherry tree. When the first buds appear then I shall feel my heart lift, is it okay to admit to it feeling heavy right now?

Rumours are swirling around the neighbourhood of people who have the virus, who are not isolating or who have been in touch with said people with the virus. It is in my humble opinion that those out there who are knowingly flouting the rules are not going to escape public scrutiny. In the olden days the market place stocks existed to dole out justice and make a clear example of people who couldn't behave, or simply crossed the line. The town would then be able to see who the idiots were amongst them. Nowadays with the presence of Facebook and the internet these new tools have become the new market place stocks, albeit with a far larger audience.

I'll leave it there shall I ?

Comments

Procrastinaire said…
Ha ha, convinced these lockdowns are happening so I get to read your blogs. ��
Sally Townsend said…
They are @procrastinaire...

Popular Posts