Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 23

 


It's a dreich day to be sure, but its no excuse to feel glum. 

My morning was full of gaiety and laughter. That is if you can call being on a customer chat line whilst holding onto another call line questioning my bill to Yorkshire Gas and Power (again). I could not help but observe out loud that I had now paid over and above the odds and the very pleasant sounding lady agreed. 'Have a nice day' she said. I resisted the temptation to reply that I indeed would if I didn't have to waste quite so much time phoning them up. By this time the morning had slipped by. To while away the time of hanging online I played a mindless game (on my mobile) that promised to keep my brain active. What a relief...

This morning I attempted to put on a pair of jeans that I hadn't worn for a while. Last year they were 'snug', this year I popped them to the back of the wardrobe. There are two types of people in lockdown. Those that seize the opportunity to indulge in a daily workout and embrace a healthy low calorie diet and those whose active lifestyle has ground to a halt and whose weakness for chocolate is leading to their downfall. I am the latter. 

'The Undertaker' is thrilled to see a pair of collar doves showing an interest in the bird table. All I have observed is whopping great seagulls and two fat pigeons who spend the entire time trying to mate. Apparently pigeons are at it all year round, a thoroughly useless piece of information I agree. 

I have challenged myself to keep the shop window as vibrant as possible. This afternoon I walked up the road through the murky drizzle and dressed it so that it would bring some cheer to passing folk. There's a vintage fine wool kaftan in eye catching swirls and a couple of jolly stripy summer dresses. It wont be long you know before we can discard our winter woollies and heavy overcoats!

The highlight of the day is supper. Tonight we have a thick lentil and smoked bacon soup with crunchy bread from a local artisan baker. A little dressed salad to follow with strips of smoked salmon and a slice of overripe Somerset brie should satisfy the palate nicely. Afterwards there is the business of dealing with an opened box of the finest chocolates from Maison Chocolat. What was I supposed to do, let them go out of date or open them? It is these little daily dilemmas that are so taxing.

Comments

Popular Posts