Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 9


Quite frankly by the time this morning dawned I was more than ready to shun the 'Little Wife on the Prairie' look. Instead I opted for a classic pure wool Hobbs pinafore with black Chelsea boots and a cashmere Harrods coat. The string of pearls however, was perhaps a tad too much for taking my Mother to the local medical centre for her jab. How lucky we are to live here. The whole procedure was beautifully organised and a credit to our local surgery.

I was told to return in half an hour so to kill time (as I couldn't park) I went to the farm shop, a mere two minute drive away. Isn't it odd the way we have to justify our every move these days? Inside was a neighbour so we had a little chit chat. I purchased a loaf of the most divine bread but did not succumb to anything of a more extravagant nature. In my attire I fervently hoped they didn't mistake me for an 'outsider'.

Feeling upbeat I was ready to tackle the rest of the day head on. By the time I got back home I was ravenous and had the overwhelming desire for an egg mayonnaise sandwich. I rustled up another little delicious 'all in one' hot pot meal whilst I was feeling domesticated. Also, because of the lack of dishwasher and my growing appreciation of the gentle nature of washing up, I am resisting coughing up any money for the temperamental appliance.

A kind reader has likened my character/s as fluctuating between Kitty (Patricia Routledge), Nessa (Gavin and Stacey) and worryingly Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances. 'Who shall I be today?' I muse out loud to 'The Undertaker'. He shoots me a worried look and beats a hasty retreat.

I am glad to report all was sweetness and light in our humble abode today. Despite a week where the forecast predicted grey clouds followed by grey clouds, I was almost on the verge of humming a little tune to myself as I went about my daily tasks.  Then, however, I made the mistake of viewing a local news site and before I knew what was happening I morphed into the keyboard warrior from hell. A large development company had purchased a dreary plot of land up the road. It lies next to a dated building which is scheduled for updating when money allows, close by the dreary non descript Morrisons, whose buildings are identical up and down the country. That which is being allowed to be built is nothing short of an outrage. Here we are living in an area deemed as one of outstanding natural beauty  (houses along the very same road Grade II listed) yet we're being saddled with an eyesore that wouldn't look out of place as a cheap, run of the mill motel next to an airport. Why do the planners allow this to happen (yes, yes, we all know the answer but are not allowed to say so) but perhaps more importantly why do we allow it? Why can't we all unite and demand that they take their crappy ideas and go back to the drawing board until they come up with a design that is both pleasing to the eye and will stand the test of time? 

I tell you why we don't do it. It takes up too much time and requires too much effort to fight a large company with more money and clout than all of us combined might have. It is the brutal senseless destruction of our environment that is so nauseating. I'm going to have to lump it, I'm going to have to feel pissed off that I was too feeble to speak up every time I drive past it.

Or shall I take them on? Would you?

Comments

Carolyn Ley-Greaves said…
Yes, do it!! No better time than now when stuck at home with nowhere to go and nothing to do. Heap shame on the greedy sods - haven't we all agreed that the beauty of our environment is the most important thing for our wellbeing and sanity during these testing times. We don't need more ugliness in our lives.....be valiant and protest.✊🌳🌻🌄 xx
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sally Townsend said…
It's difficult to stand by I admit but why me? Why aren't people with more time on their hands up in arms? Lockdown apathy I presume.

Popular Posts