Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 29


Some cheer is most definitely needed. My red Amaryllis is shooting up on the kitchen window sill and my white lilies are beginning to bloom. There were signs of sunlight and for a split second I felt 'uplifted'. Pegging out some washing on the line the air felt warm. Didn't last.. but let's not dwell on that.

Decided to go to the shop and tackle a stock check. Rather felt that a certain batch of clothes were dragging my spirits down so they were bagged up and put out of sight. People pass by and chat to me through the door. Time slips by with nothing much achieved in the way of work. People are lonely and need interaction with others. It's simply not normal the way we are living right now. The shop is cold and damp and after hearing the sad news that Captain Sir Tom Moore has died with coronavirus I give up the ghost and pack up. My heart isn't in it. 'The Undertaker' who had joined me remarked that the stock check was only slightly less boring than an armoury check but at least the items are all different. We go home and light a fire. 

Some people seem to be taking their frustrations out on others with snide remarks. I wouldn't dream of expanding but why be rude when it costs nothing to be polite. Luckily I wasn't on the receiving end but it came to my attention all the same and I wanted to retaliate on behalf of others in the only way I know how, and am quite good at, with words that would cut the perpetrator to shreds. But gosh, what on earth am I thinking of? Where is the love, the kindness, the compassion? When did it all disappear and why are people so angry?

A speeding ticket arrives from Dorset Police. 7 miles over the speed limit no less. Oh dear. Who ever manages a speed ticket in a Honda Jazz? Again, I wouldn't dream of expanding but I wasn't the driver... It's never the drivers who overtake you on a blind bend is it, never the ones that are heading towards you as the overtake from the other side of the road, never the numb skulls who roar past my house either as they pick up speed down the hill. Now I sound angry, perhaps I am with nowhere to vent my spleen. 

My friends Mothers funeral was today. She died with the virus not from it so saying goodbye and paying his respects wasn't possible for him. No wake afterwards, no stiff drinks in the pub, no reminiscing with friends in a cosy warm environment. I broke all the rules and gave him a huge hug, with both of us wearing face masks. It's all so inhuman. 

So much for the cheer, so much for the quirky little tales that I can sometimes conjure up from thin air. Today is one of those days. What with the news of Captain Sir Tom, a speeding ticket and unable to join our friend in an old fashioned 'send off' its no wonder it all feels a tad one sided when you see people blatantly breaking all the rules and never being caught out. 

Some days you just want to scream and so you should.

Tomorrow will be a good day. 

Shout out today to: Marijka, Caroline W, Francis South St Antiques, The Joker Gotham City, Doug of Colmers Hill Calendar fame, Shirley, Kim Naturalife South St, Audrey, Tallulah, Debs in Carcassonne, Gordon F (PWRR) Hannah P. 

Comments

Nicky said…
Thank you, I love to read your lockdown words each day. I’m along the coast from you in Abbotsbury, and often share your sentiments and have a little cheer. Sending a virtual wave and hello, looking forward to seeing your shop transformation when we’re allowed out & about again! xx
Procrastinaire said…
If it’s any consolation police are sometimes right place right time. Driver drove straight through enormous puddle soaking my OH when out running. As OH was flinging futile expletives after it, police car pulled over ‘ don’t worry we’ve got him’ . OH gave driver a friendly wave as he jogged on past whilst offender stuck at roadside with police. 😁 Thank you for the hello, you make lockdown so much easier. Nice to see some familiar names as well. Would love Camilla to write again.
Sally Townsend said…
Hi Nicky, thanks for popping by, sending a virtual wave right back, look forward to meeting you when we can travel once again!
Sally Townsend said…
Procrastinaire, worth the soaking!

Popular Posts