Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 30


A disgruntled reader of Last Tango in Carcassonne passed by the shop yesterday and remarked that I needed help with the writing of my sex scenes. 'There are no sex scenes' I say... 'on purpose' I add crossly. 'You can't call it 'Last Tango'' he persists 'and then not have any sex'. 'It's just a play on words' I retort, and then as a polite afterthought, (he purchased the book after all) asked if he enjoyed it. 'What a sad life you've had!' he remarks and shuffles off. 

This morning I noticed that the luxury bar of soap had developed a split in it and as anyone who is a connoisseur of fine soaps will know, this soon leads to an upsetting development. I haven't the heart to throw out the discarded slivers either because every time I look at them I am reminded of my 98 year old Aunt and how horrified she would be, so they sit there as a reminder to my wastefulness and extravagance. 

I am just in the mood today to take on Yorkshire Gas and Power (again) over their exorbitant extractions from my bank account. I'm not going to be fobbed off either by a gentle elderly sounding person whom I can envisage sitting in a comfy armchair with legs outstretched wearing warm slippers. No, they are part of a team of highly trained ruthless representatives hellbent on fleecing sole traders from Bridport out of vast sums of cash for shops that have been closed. All I want to do is tell them how crap their service is, how incompetent their promised 'follow up' non service is and that basically they are a bunch of robbing bastards. Unfortunately (for me) the lines were so busy I wasn't going to shorten my life span in a queue listening to piped muzak so instead I went out into my lovely little garden and hung some washing out on the line. 

I nearly fainted this morning when I discovered that I had been the recipient of a tax return from HMRC. I immediately texted 'The Undertaker' safe in the knowledge that he couldn't suggest I relinquish it in his direction on frivolities or even (shudder) on a replacement dishwasher. (Unnecessary in my humble opinion) Rather like the tumble drier that never gets used, causing merriment of a small band of people I hear... 

I trundle off to the shop after an early lunch, (chicken sandwich, chocolate biscuit, easy peeler orange)  as you may be surprised to learn, I ditched the boot camp regime after 24hrs... A few other independent shop keepers on South Street are redoing their windows too so we wave to each other and shout through windows. In my window I settle for a large pottery bowl of white roses and a mixture of black and red clothes, although tomorrow I may change those to pink as they look rather sombre. I scatter a few chocolate shaped hearts in shiny red foil in the window as a gesture towards Valentines Day. I purposely ignore 'disgruntled reader' as he walks past. I daresay I will get over myself before long and he'll forget the lack of steamy sex.

The sky has a lovely pink hazy glow to it this evening and the washing has actually dried on the line.

I won't linger however because at 6pm I am going to stand on my doorstep and applaud Sir Captain Tom, as loudly as I possibly can.

Todays 'shout outs';  Vicki and Barbara  (Boise USA), Yvonne D, Steve D (Bridport ice cream man) Rachael, (St Marys, Isles of Scilly,) Claire M, (Mapperton....) Tina I, Sue S, Craig J (ATDU Bovington), Deidra, (Atlanta, Georgia) Lesley F, (Scotland), Jennifer W x




Comments

Ileana said…
Brilliant writing Sally!, thank you! It did put a smile on my face and that disgruntled reader, well, he is the one missing out! I thought your Carcasonne book was full of hints of steamy whetever, sex or just flirting, I thought just the right amount of each. You need one of those Julua Robert's lines (Notting Hill) up your sleeve if any old bore bothers you again. ��
Keep writing! What a splendid thing to do!
Love, Ileana.
Anonymous said…
Should I read this book? Perhaps I will. nmd 1970's
Sally Townsend said…
Dear Anonymous, You should most certainly read the book although you may be disappointed that you aren't featured in it. Perhaps in the next one...
Anonymous said…

Across the border in another village a somewhat similar 'living the dream' debacle was in full swing, one which was to affect it's chief protagonist in more ways than could possibly be known...it seems to be an English trait, in this regard at least, to venture where no sane person would normally dare...Memory of the whole affair seems now to be rather cloudy, most probably on purpose, and it only remains to be seen whether reading 'last tango in Carcasonne ' will bring those 'days' back to life.
On a more personal note the '70's were good and I have fond memories of them. It's good to see that you haven't lost your humorous side. M.xx
Sally Townsend said…
Dear M, judging by your own literary output mine may well seem trivial in comparison, however I am now worried that my own small offerings will indeed bring those 'days' back to life and if your 'adventure' was remotely like mine then being cloudy about it was possibly a blessing in disguise. x

Popular Posts