Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 31

 


A pal phones me up this morning to tell me his preloved gold velvet armchairs have arrived but that he won't be keeping the antimacassars on. The word was a new one on me but I wasn't about to give him the pleasure of my admitting to it. 'Oooh no' I said, 'so passe'. Undeterred he continued to advise me to invest in a dishwasher with my tax return. There is the problem with this daily lockdown blog malarky, everyone knows your business, or, at least, thinks they do... Irritably I pushed the button on the machine and as if by magic it sprung into life. Empty of course but no way was I going to risk turning it off. The day was off to a roaring start. 'Guess what's different'? I quizzed 'The Undertaker' as he returned from his Mothers shopping trip (Thursdays without fail). He looked worried, thinking I was trying to trick him and looked round wildly for a clue. We both agreed it was a miracle.

Feeling rather upbeat I gathered up all the lovely vibrant linens I had accumulated for the spring/summer and trundled down to the shop to sort and price. How pleasing it was not to be battling with heavy winter coats and thick woollens. I'm well aware we have a bitterly cold snap of weather on the way but I'm ready to move on and embrace the season ahead. We must look forward.

I do my own Mothers shopping too on Thursdays and whilst I was in the supermarket I bump into a friend. 'I'm going round the bend' I said to her. She agreed. Being in the doldrums is no fun. By now I know the store back to front and I daresay, were I to be quizzed, the price of everything too. Pausing to have a cup of tea with my Mother I start to spout today's opinion. Once you stop having an opinion surely there is no hope left? I rather feel that the country needs inspiration, someone to take the helm and give us hope. A figure that lifts our spirits, pulls us together in this time of need, unites us as a nation, just as Captain Sir Tom Moore did. 'I don't know where the Queen has got to' I remark, it wouldn't take much to simply do a broadcast to the nation, to show us she cares, to understand our frustrations (or at least imply that she does) and jolly us all along. I thought my mother was going to disagree with me but to my amazement she didn't.

Back to the shop and by 5'oclock it is still fairly light outside, I am so engrossed in my tasks that I hadn't even noticed the hour. A good sign surely? On my return home my spirits are lifted further by the scent of the lilies filling the house, the hyacinth already showing a beautiful deep purply blue despite not yet being in flower. I have much to be thankful for. We plan the evening meal, light a fire and swop stories of our day. Not that this exchange takes long, lets face it, theres only so much excitement you can report back in a day!

Todays shout out: Dave C Bridport, Nicky from Abbotsbury, Ileana in Suffolk, Felicia H-A, Rebecca in Warwickshire, Amanda J, Miriam in Ireland. x


Comments

Popular Posts