Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 33


I can't resist a bargain, why buy new when you can buy second hand? The local house clearance had an iron and ironing board that would come in handy in the shop. I don't suppose I can shirk this aspect of running a preloved clothes shop any longer, some items just do require ironing, however dreary I find it. 

The bakery also sells the best bread and whilst we're there we stock up and indulge ourselves with some iced buns. Small pleasures to be sure. There's quite a queue outside the shop, everyone standing patiently in line. It gives me a chance to observe the elegant buildings opposite and ponder on their history. My parents used to live in this pretty town, I allow myself to drift back in time and remember when I would pick up the children once their prep school bus had deposited them in the handsome square, small children weary and anxious for home. It could be a lifetime ago, but then a year ago feels like that too.

'Office Darling' phones and suggests a walk. We enjoy our time together, both country lovers who thrive on long walks where we can chat away to our hearts content. I rustle up some sandwiches and off we set. Its still very muddy over the fields but the sun has some warmth to it. We settle on a bench at the local harbour and relax to the sounds of the sea whilst enjoying our impromptu picnic. How lucky we are. The phone goes and its somebody wanting to buy a vintage kaftan out of the shop window which lifts my spirits as it proves that my policy of changing the window constantly obviously works. Some of the other neighbouring shop keepers do the same, we feel as though it shows people that we care and are not just sitting back expecting handouts. 

As I pass the local coffee shop the owner calls out that he has some cheese scones for me, 'very nice too' I say. Later on the doorbell goes. Who on earth could this be? Nobody apart from the postman has rung the bell for months. It's our friend out walking his dog clutching a jar of homemade Seville marmalade for us. The day is turning out to be a satisfactory one after all.

It's been a slow but gentle sort of day. I observe that my google time line for January reports that the furthest I went was three miles away, and that was on foot, surely then an iced bun would do no harm, or indeed, a cheese scone come to that, smothered perhaps in Seville marmalade. It's a weird concept, despite having restrictions thrust upon us we can do just as we please in some respects. These days it seems, anything goes...

Comments

Popular Posts