Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 38


Somewhere along the way I may have mentioned, in one of my 129 daily lockdown blogs (and counting...) that Thursday is the day that I shop for my Mother and every week, without fail, I am astounded at how quickly it has come around and how little I have done in-between. But then maybe I am being hard on myself here, maybe I am one of those people who can't get accustomed to not doing very much because prior to lockdown I never stopped moving. Who knows, who will ever know? Perhaps lockdown has improved my health although in my case its unlikely. If we deducted points for stress and then added points for chocolate consumption there's no prizes for guessing which way the scales go. 

Dug out a cagoule in desperation today as the icy winds are not taking any prisoners. Fortunately the colours go exceptionally well with my Mother's (now mine) vintage Daks coat. Single breasted with leather buttons and three button cuff, (never go for less), exceptionally important especially for chaps if you want to be taken seriously...

I keep putting off going out on account of the grimness outside. To keep myself amused I write another letter to Yorkshire Gas and Power because despite happily fleecing me they have yet to respond in a meaningful manner. 'We'll look into it' doesn't cut any ice with me. I have decided to be civil for one last letter and then after that I am going to go beserk. If ever there was a deserving target it is them. This overwhelming urge to be exceptionally cross and lose the plot must surely go deeper than simply an incompetent fuel company, or a useless complaints department that you can never speak to. It is quite plainly the final straw that is likely to break the camels back. I would imagine there's a fair few of us that feel this way too, after we're all let loose again will we ever suffer fools gladly?

'Office Darling' cuts into my reverie by texting me that she thinks she has caught a cold at work. Straight away I am demanding she tells me the symptoms. How can anyone catch a cold these days, do you know anyone who has had one? Permanently masked up, constantly sanitizing, keeping your distance, what can go wrong? You can still catch a common cold it seems despite every precaution.

Waitrose was uneventful and I saw no-one. You have time to think when you're wrestling with breaking off the stalk of the broccoli. I was thinking of my dreadful addiction and how I can best cope with it. It had all started out so harmlessly too. I downloaded an app that promised to keep my brain active as obviously I've not a lot to challenge my thoughts these days. I got better and quicker (or imagined I did) as the tasks grew harder but then I realised how much time it was draining out of my day, how completely mindless it was and how I was being suckered into looking at my phone screen. I took a deep breath and deleted it along with a number of other useless apps. I idly wondered if anyone would notice the discarded stalk as I walked away...

I felt a whole lot lighter and freer when I got home. I am going to make lively and interesting conversation with 'The Undertaker' maybe with a few informative comments thrown in for good measure. I tell him of my day and how I have tackled my addiction, the evening meal is bubbling away nicely in the oven, the aroma and warmth blissfully filling the kitchen. What could possibly go wrong?

'Don't forget I'm on call for eight nights now' he says. Well, talk about a marvellous bubble being brutally pricked. We both let out a collective groan. That's normal life knackered for awhile then. Beyond tedious if I'm honest. 




Comments

Popular Posts