Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 42


What a difference a day makes, woke up this morning feeling quite normal, whatever that is.

With a spring in my step, and because it was positively warm, minus a coat, I head off for the shop. All the unsold winter coats are gathered up ready for storage. A lady pops by for 'click and collect' and we have a little chat about living abroad. I work steadily until I am relatively happy with my rails of colourful spring/summer clothes. I feel more or less ready to re-open but know that realistically that is some time off. Roll on Easter which, going by rumours, is when non essential shops are hopefully allowed to open again. Other shopkeepers are re-arranging their windows too, keeps us occupied I guess and shows we haven't just closed the doors and walked away. No furlough for the self employed...

The most exciting event of the day looms, which is the delivery of a handsome set of drawers purchased on Saturday. I am doubtful that they will fit up the stairs, I'm not quite convinced the measurements were right but remain hopeful and imagine with pleasure all the clothes that will seamlessly disappear!
The men arrive and laugh before they have even come through the front door, when they see the staircase its a swift 'no chance'. Turns out the measurements are wildly out anyway. Did I want them to take it back? Decide against it and they deliver it without complaint to the shop which is just down the road. Handy to be sure. Immediately my well ordered shop is no more. 'The Undertaker' turns up and admires them, albeit somewhat aghast at their evident bulk. They need a slight dose of TLC, some scratch cover, bees wax and brass polish will transform them I'm sure.  It will give me another project to contemplate before I tie a price tag on them. 

The wind has gone cold now as we make our way up the street. The sky is a steely grey and uninviting. I feel enormously pleased with myself that I found time to put something in the hot pot this morning because the aroma alone lifts the spirits. Let's face it the evening meal is the highlight of the day so it's important to put your heart and soul into the event.

We switch on the government briefing and gloomily admit there's still a long way to go. Much upbeat talk about vaccines but nothing to celebrate ie; returning to normal anytime soon.

So there we go, another Monday slips by. A fire will be lit and we'll watch some TV. I had once imagined I could cope with living a far more bucolic life, like I used to in France. I had mooted the idea of moving out of town and before we became too decrepit, giving rural living another bash. However, after this lockdown, I know I shall never do this again. Nevertheless the idea of a larger town house is certainly not dead in the water. This will certainly become a requirement if the purchase of further monolithic furniture becomes habit forming! 


Comments

Popular Posts