Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 52


I am simply lapping up the sunshine we are enjoying. Nothing is guaranteed to have me beaming from ear to ear more than glorious weather. It seems to have the same effect on everyone, someone confided in me today that for her it was a 'lifesaver'.

I hadn't bothered mentioning it because frankly it is too dreary for words but I had been distinctively off colour the past few days. I did have a few symptoms of 'you know what' but not enough to warrant undue alarm, although I have been jabbed it is still possible to contract it of course. The local surgery's online consulting service had gone down, probably crashed through overuse' so I made the mistake of googling my ailments. Doom and gloom reigned until I woke up this morning and, as if by magic' felt better. The local postie really is a cheerful chappie 'You feeling better' he shouted out. A neighbour enquired as to my wellbeing as I walked up the street too. Seems everyone knows my business, I suppose its good to live in such a caring neighbourhood. We all look out for each other without interfering, which is worth its weight in gold. When I win the lottery though I may keep that little nugget of info to myself.

The carpet is arriving for the shop tomorrow, so I went up to clear a little. Being as it is so mild I had the door wide open. I am apprehensive now about the colour, I suppose it is best described as 'pond slime'. I change the window (again). Todays theme is vaguely 'French' as I rather cannily used some pretty empty wine bottles and stuck candles in them and dress the mannequins in what I hope is regarded as 'chic' attire. My Mother surprises me by turning up at the door. I suggested we walk down to the supermarket together and once there I would procure the wheelchair so we could shop with ease. It's been a year since she has gone to do her shopping, a whole year no less, who would have imagined our lives would be so disrupted? It all went remarkably well with various members of staff stopping us for a chat or calling out how lovely it was to see her again. The supermarket was blissfully empty as I manoeuvred the chair around. When we returned home my Mother remarked that she felt she had really 'turned a corner'. 'Normal' life, along with the small pleasures we once took for granted, is slowly beginning to re-emerge. We can but hope.

It's a fabulously bright evening, giving the front room a wonderful glow with the late afternoon sun. I light a fire and the room quickly warms up. I stare out of the window at the clouds turning a deep blood red as the day draws to a close. The moon is clear and bright in the sky and the sound of birdsong is still on the air. Who can fail to be uplifted?

I do wonder about this daily blog business, was I rash in attempting a third daily lockdown diary? Who, if anyone can find my daily doings of nothing remotely interesting? However it is a challenge I have set myself and I shall persevere until I re-open the shop. If my scribbles bring a smidgeon of a smile, a shred of comfort to one single solitary person out there who may be feeling alienated and unsure of life ahead then it is time well spent. 

Comments

Popular Posts