Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 59


I have a penchant for old things. I just had to have the vintage dial phone for the shop. Truth be known I couldn't wait to try it out. I plugged it in and dialled the number from my mobile. The ring was loud and satisfying. I dialled my Mother a few times just to try it out. It's very very slow but quite addictive. 'The Undertaker' found it quite fascinating too, that's this evenings entertainment taken care of then. I lift off the dial at the front to pop in the shop number. On the back in a fancy scrawl are the words 'Summer Lodge' which is a luxurious country house hotel in the small village of Evershot, famous for its inclusion in much of Hardy's literature. 'The phone has provenance then' I say. 

Thursday, and as you will know should you follow this blog daily and remember anything whatsoever amongst its daily dose of useless information, is shopping day with my Mother. Last week as you may recall we made a breakthrough of going together and this week found us doing a repeat performance. I had a slight panic that the wheelchair would not be available when we got there. However, it was, and the wonderful staff attached the huge shopping basket onto the front for us. It's a relaxing and ideal way to shop with someone who may become weary trundling round the aisles plus everyone stands aside for you, although there was a chap blocking the spring onions this morning for an unnecessary amount of time. Whilst waiting I glance at my phone, rude you might think when with my Mother, but of course she can't see me as I'm pushing the wheelchair so its acceptable. In my mailbox there is a notification from the premium bonds informing me I have won a prize but I can't log in there and then as I don't have the details to hand. I can't believe I'm stuck behind a chap manhandling every bunch of spring onions in Waitrose when I could well be a multi millionaire. I'm tempted to clip the back of his ankles with the chair but refrain. I see mini pots of Haagen Dazs ice cream are still on offer but I don't have the time to linger so press on in a hurried but not obscene way. It is my Mothers outing after all (ie, not all about me!) I say this to myself but can't help a small amount of 'dolly daydreaming' as I lug the shopping back under dreary grey skies. 

I feel a shiver of anticipation as I log into my premium bonds account and then suddenly the rug is cruelly pulled from under my feet as I find I have won the paltry minimum amount. To compensate I add a poached egg to the remaining tin of yesterdays baked beans. I know how to live! I think to myself.

The neighbour tells me there is a deal on at Morrisons up the road for potting compost so I go up to investigate. There's a commotion involving a drunk chap and lots of police vehicles. He lurches off swearing profusely. At this juncture I decide to call it a day. 





Comments

Popular Posts