Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 71


It was a mistake to venture up into the attic, it being the place everything unwanted is put, out of sight and out of mind. A teas made, from 'The Undertakers' Mother for example, circa 1970, unwanted by her, unwanted by me. 50 packing boxes flattened for when we move. (Not guilty) Sets of old engraved glasses from France, vintage jam pots, velvet curtains, single linen sheets (guilty) A complete set of camping equipment for army use and one for civilian use. 'I am never ever going camping ever again' I recall saying a year ago. Now I would cry with gratitude if I secured a corner in a farmers field this summer. My, how times do change.

Finally filled in my census 2021 form after 'The Undertaker' found it necessary to phone them up. The music was so awful and loud whilst he was placed on hold I had to ask him to place the phone in the other room. 'I'm trying to enjoy my boiled egg' I shout. It's not a lot to ask is it, basic peace and quiet'?

Swept out the fireplace in upper room, wielded the vacuum cleaner and washed a brass hearth brush (engraved with Lyme Regis for some arcane reason) whose bristles had gone awry . Squashed two moths who fluttered up from the carpet and opened the window for copious amounts of relatively warm fresh air. Dawdled by the window for a while and observed some men removing ivy from the church wall opposite. Four men with two vans. Kindness stops me from a sniping comment as to how long they sat and 'rested' in their vans. 'What a joke' I say to 'The Undertaker'.

Possessed with a zest I haven't managed to muster these last few days I do three wash loads in succession. What a perfect drying day to be sure. I bend down to savour the perfume of my newly planted mimosa tree and observe an enormous bumble bee on a vivid blue hyacinth.

Another trip up to the attic finds me throwing stuff down the ladder to 'deal with'. By now I feel a twinge in my lower back. I wasn't going to admit to this because I wanted you all to imagine I had the most inconceivably dull life imaginable, the truth, however, is I haven't. I am one of the luckiest people I know, I have the enviable use of an indoor swimming pool, all to myself. That I have this opportunity, surely sent to me from heaven, is a complete and utter godsend for my sanity.  If I could bottle up the happiness I derive from plodding up and down that pool I would share it with you all. I must have done something right in a previous life...

Comments

Popular Posts