Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 76


There's something deeply satisfying about sitting in a room flooded with sunshine and not finding anything to moan about. The fire is flickering in a pleasing manner, I see chocolate on the table, my glass is full of fizz and I have received a few cards. The world is a marvellous place, I have got through another year of life without any serious mishaps. The fact that I have waited until 17.00hrs for a snifter is proof, were any needed, that I am old. Older and non the wiser.

All a mother really wants on her birthday is to hear from her children. Lovely uplifting conversation with son first thing (he being over in France), kick starts the day wonderfully. Later meet up with 'Office Darling' in a car park by the beach and she brings along a cake complete with candles. She takes a picture of me holding the cake aloft beaming like some halfwit and shares it on the family WhatsApp. I send an urgent message back, please do not use this photograph on my funeral service sheet. Whaaaat?

Friends walk by and drop off cards. The doorbell goes and we all stand huddled outside. We're all quite upbeat really and laugh loudly planning the get togethers we shall have when we can sit outside in each others gardens legally. We shall make lots of noise and party!

Yesterday apparently we had a sonic boom here in Bridport from a meteorite which nearly sent 'The Undertaker' into a meltdown having served in Northern Ireland. I didn't actually hear it which is vaguely mortifying as I have been accused of having ears like a bat, ie, I can hear a pin drop.

A neighbour has just appeared in sight obviously at the end of an afternoons walk. I know he lives alone. His shoulders are drooping as he makes his way up the street, hands pushed deeply into his pockets, head down. He is lonely, he is pissed off with lockdown and from my privileged, comfortable position my heart goes out to him. If you do only one thing today, do this. Contact someone who you know is alone. Phone them and talk. This is hard, we are all in it together. It is not a fight. It is not a competition. It is not about whether you have had the vaccine or not. It is about all pulling together and caring for each other. It's about compassion. 


Comments

Procrastinaire said…
Happy belated birthday. We are looking forward to seeing mother in law soon for the first time since her birthday in October. We usually pop in when travelling to Wales as she lives on the border. It’s the little things you miss.

Popular Posts