Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 77

 


I avoided the news for 24 hours and what a carefree marvellous time it was too. 

Determined to be upbeat I strode to the shop and popped a rather fetching striped swimsuit on one of the mannequins. I sprinkled the window sill with sea shells from the Isles of Scilly and plonked a wide brimmed sun hat on a stand. May as well be optimistic and cheerful. Someone  passed by all wrapped up and hunched over in the cold wind and said my window made him smile on a daily basis. I beamed with delight until he added that the dainty little yellow shells looked like sweetcorn.

I go home for lunch and a pot of tea and can't resist a little lie down on the sofa which I put down to being old rather than too many glasses of bubbly last night. Found a stray square of chocolate too, which was a bonus, so I nibbled contentedly on that until guilt wormed its way into me. 

Sighing deeply I go out into the garden to inspect the washing on the line. It's nearly dry and the neighbours are pottering in their gardens. I thank them for their cards, I mean how lovely is that to have such wonderful neighbours? Someone remarks that she has just seen a monster sized rat climb over the garden fences so I decide against pruning the raspberry cane and sidle back inside for another pot of tea.

The blossom has burst forth on our newly planted little wild cherry tree outside the house. How pretty and delicate it all looks, it won't be long before the fruit trees in the garden are out, at which point we'll  know that spring is finally on its way. 

'The Undertaker' is perplexed when he arrives home. 'You've got a beach scene in the shop window' he says, 'bit early for all that isn't it'? 'It's to give people hope' I say. 'Hope for a beautiful warm summer, hope for a holiday and just hope generally!' Everyone needs to feel there is something to look forward to, despite the somewhat confusing news we are all receiving on a daily basis...

Comments

Popular Posts