Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 78



If I hear the phrase 'a year ago today' once more I shall scream. Who could forget being glued to the tv as Boris imparts the news to a shocked country that we shall be going into lockdown. Little did we know what lay ahead... I find a picture instead of two years ago today when the world was an entirely different place and people went away. You decided you wanted to go somewhere, you arranged it and got in the car and went. Imagine that.

When we woke up the sun was shining so we scrambled to throw some clothes on and made our way 'tout de suite' to the beach for a walk. When we got there the sun had disappeared and although the sky was a dull pale grey the sea was a clear luminous green. There were two other people on the beach, wrestling with swimming costumes. The girls' legs were a mottled mixture of purple and blue it was so cold. They proceeded to attach brightly coloured floats to themselves and I watched with morbid fascination as they braved the icy waters. The tide was going out so we had lovely firm sand to walk on. It was bracing but bleak and 'The Undertaker' had a funeral to attend so we didn't linger.

I grab my basket and make my way up the street stopping all the while to chat to people. 'Going anywhere nice this year'? as a greeting has turned into something of a bad joke. The prospect of going anywhere in Europe or further afield is looking less and less likely. We need something to look forward to, something on the horizon to keep us going, life isn't supposed to be this way. 

'Melicious' asks if I would like him to knock down a stud wall at the back of the shop. Well why not? I think to myself. By the end of the day there's a reasonable area for a changing room, remember those? It's anyone's guess if we'll be allowed to use them. Everything is so topsy turvy but not in an exciting way, its the uncertainty of it all really...

On a brighter note it dawns on me that from the 29th March we can have up to six people sitting in the garden. We have a gazebo we can erect so come rain or shine we shall be out there celebrating our newly found freedom. A year ago, who would have thought it would come to this? Anyone care to join me in a group scream?


Comments

Popular Posts