Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 79


It must be a hard life being a cat. Went up to MIL's this morning and this sorry sight greeted me. Fed, warm with every conceivable luxury at hand yet it was a picture of misery. I laughed out loud. 'Reminds me of certain people I know' I remarked 'with their only worry being that their not going to be taking their usual holiday this year, or worse still the problem of getting your speed boat to your holiday home'... The cat was obviously involved in a sit down protest at the current situation.

The busiest shipping lane in the world is blocked, John Lewis is closing stores and most of Europe appears to be going back into lockdown, the world is changing so fast most of us can't keep up!

Had a delivery today of a pair of vintage French workman's twill overalls in railroad navy blue. For the uninitiated if you're going to don overalls they have to be the real McCoy. Also took delivery of preloved 'French style' Breton tops which to my horror were from China. I mean they look ok, but I wasn't best pleased at their place of origin. After being ironed they looked quite acceptable on the rail but even so... 

Sold a brand new swimsuit (price tag still attached, John Lewis as it happens) and the woman actually asked if I would accept far less. I think possibly my mouth hung open in surprise. I said 'Madam, not only is this a bargain at the price stated but I've only just put it in the window and it's not even swimsuit season, a reduction at this stage is quite unthinkable'. Afterwards I popped up to talk to my friend in the clothing shop up the road. 'Is this what its going to be like?' I wondered allowed. I feel apprehensive about the whole re-opening process. I guess going back to the 'new normal' is going to feel strange to begin with.

I must have ironed 30 items of clothing today, which, as anyone who knows me well, will testify is not my chosen path to happiness. Needs must and all that. However running your own business, however humble is not to be sneezed at. I haven't worked for anyone else since I was 28 and frankly swore I never would ever again. It's been a time, these past twelve months, I feel, for reflection, a chance to take a good hard look at ourselves. I think if you have an idea that you are passionate about and you get the opportunity to put it into practice then you should. If there's one thing that really stands out it's that life is short and that the rug can be pulled out from under your feet without prior warning. 

'The Undertaker' remarked this morning that he admired my dedication in writing a daily BlogSpot without fail, day 79 as you can see. It is this small discipline that marks out the days, for me at least. 

Comments

Procrastinaire said…
My father ran his own business and it was a disaster so I have always been averse to doing it. Have been treated so appallingly at work this last week - just shy of bullying behaviour - that I envy your little shop deeply. It’s not even as if I make much as a teacher living in the South East. My salary doesn’t even cover our rent. 🥲 Holidays now though and Uni son home to spread a little cheer. 😁

Popular Posts