Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 85


Today was the hottest day in the UK in 53 years which would account for mainly middle aged men wandering around in shorts and baggy t-shirts. Having lived in Southern France I can assure you that this type of behaviour would be completely alien to any self respecting man about town. The French would be still donning their winter attire which they will continue to do until, at least, late June whatever the temperature. There is an elegant way of easing yourself into the warmer weather and I'm afraid to say (in my opinion) that our continental cousins are streaks ahead of us in this respect, unless you are by the beach of course or in your back garden. Biased? possibly.

Decided to put the gazebo up in the garden today, all ready for the Easter entertaining. However, as is so often the case, the weather is forecast to go cold, possibly putting paid to any plans to al fresco dining with friends. I daresay you might imagine that because I live so close by to the beach that today I would be found sunning myself on the sands. Sadly this was not the case as all sorts of dreary jobs reared their ugly heads. Much to my chagrin the time slipped by and we didn't even have time for a walk. 

Finally made it to the local recycling centre site where the waste is enough to make you weep with frustration at peoples' inability (and sheer laziness) to find alternative ways of ridding themselves of their rubbish when some of the goods discarded are still perfectly usable. I wonder how long the centre management are going to use the excuse of Covid to keep the reusable items area closed? 

Pushed the lawnmower over the grass which required no effort whatsoever. Thought back rather fondly to 'Office Darling' huffing and puffing along with the manual mower not so many summers ago where afterwards we would reward ourselves with a large glass of Pimms. 

With time to spare I plonked myself down gratefully on the garden bench from where I admired a groaning line full of washing. There was the ugliest brown caterpillar I had ever seen making heavy weather of its path over the lawn. In the longer grass under the cherry tree I spied one single ladybird. The raspberry cane is flourishing and one fat dandelion has appeared which so far 'The Undertaker' has left well alone having been lectured on the benefits of weeds.

All is well in the garden today. You can't really ask for more. 

Comments

Popular Posts