Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 91


All excitement today as 'Melicious' was coming to paint the outside of the shop. He assured me that Farrow and Balls 'Down Pipe' was the colour so who was I to argue? 'The Undertaker' stood, surveyed and approved! It's all go on South Street. I noticed quite a few shop keepers busy, we're all revving up for next Monday that's for sure. Meanwhile plenty of people walk by to pass comment...

What a peculiar day. First of all its positively balmy the next there's a torrent of hailstones. Meanwhile inside the shop I try very hard not to be distracted, sorting and labelling as fast as I can. I've had three months to be ready, I cant help but wonder what I've been doing all this time. 'Click and collect' seems to have had an exponential surge today which is odd as there's so few days before 'face to face' shopping is permitted. Maybe people are actively supporting their local high streets. Let's hope so. Amazon and their ilk have had it far too easy.

I have a 'blast from the past' as an old friend from Dublin phones. It's funny it seems like only yesterday that we chatted, so much water under the bridge since we last met but the laughter flows just like it always used to. Just another quick change of flowers in the window and a swivel of outfits on the mannequins and before I know it, its time to call it a day. A satisfying day all round. A fat bluebottle appears in the window just as I go to walk away. Sighing I go back in and chase it round the shop eventually cornering it in the window where it lands on the freshly painted window sill.

Trudging home I narrowly avoid the torrent of hailstones but 'The Undertaker' wasn't so lucky and appears shaking off the icy drops as he opens the door accompanied by a few curses. 'Never mind' I say brightly, 'salmon for supper' and we have a large Lindt chocolate bunny to brighten up the evening as we sit in front of the crackling open fire. Who could ask for more?





Comments

Popular Posts