Lockdown from Bridport - Part 3 - Day 92


This morning found me scrabbling amongst the recently folded bag of winter woollies frantically searching for my thermal vest. I was running late, so in frustration tipped them all on the floor. In the end I found I had placed it over the bedroom chair. I fell on it with relief I can tell you, such is my aversion to the cold.

I'm very pleased with my freshly painted window. New carpet, new hanging rail and completely refreshed stock. It's fair to say that come 9am Monday 12th April I shall be eager and ready to welcome customers back into the shop. 

As we approach the end of our lockdown here in the UK it occurs to me that 92 days has flashed by making me wonder what on earth have I been doing with all these hours free to choose how I spend my days? Anyway we've certainly all had enough, we're all suffering from fatigue and frustration over the seemingly endless cycle of coronavirus restrictions. Most of us have done our bit, abided by the rules, adhered to social distancing so why am I so surprised by the outrageous news in France that secret elite diner parties were being held in Paris? Lord knows we all know its going on up and down our own country, the difference being these privileged few who are seemingly above the law just haven't been caught. It was ever thus, one rule for us, another for them... The great divide between poverty and wealth just seems to be an ever widening gulf. Enough to start a revolution wouldn't you say? Certainly our 'continental cousins' are close to breaking point, and who would blame them?

People don't seem to be getting their knickers in a twist in quite the same way this time around when it comes to their hair though do they? Perhaps they have realised that in the great scheme of things having a few split ends and longer locks are not earth shattering inconveniences. Maybe we have concluded that the important things in life are friends, family and a damned good neighbourhood network, all of which have kept me afloat.

I succumbed, I blame 'Melicious' naturally, to an awesome sausage sandwich at lunchtime today from our local coffee shop. It felt like some naughty indulgence but we justified ourselves because the bread was wholemeal and made by a local baker and the sausages, (also local) were organic. 'We're supporting local trade' we said as we happily munched away. If I'm honest it was the highlight of the day but then I guess the evening is still young so who knows?

At least I can step outside my own front door if I choose, I can get into the car and drive to see a sunset over the sea or take a hike in the woods where bluebells are beginning to emerge. I'm not locked up under some arcane curfew knowing that the leaders and elite of my country are pleasuring themselves on foie gras, potato soup glazed with truffles and quaffing champagne whilst my fellow human beings are driven demented and mental health issues soar. You can tell I feel strongly about this, quite possibly more so than the yapping dog tied up outside my shop today. 'There you are my darling' the woman cooed scooping up her pooch, 'Mummy's back'. 'Melicious' and I dissolved into laughter whereupon she shot us a withering look. 





Comments

Popular Posts